thread lock question

Ritesh Raj Sarraf riteshsarraf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 04:56:04 EDT 2006

I'm sorry. My example code wasn't clear enough.
Please see the following:

exit_status = copy_first_match(foo, bar)

if exit_status == False:
    if download_file(foo, bar) == True:
         if zip_bool:
                         ziplock.acquire()
                         try:
                                 compress_the_file(zip_type_file, foo,
bar)
                                 os.unlink(foo) # Unlink it once it has
been zipped
                         finally:
                                 ziplock.release()
else:
    if zip_bool:
                 ziplock.acquire()
                 try:
                         compress_the_file(zip_type_file, foo, bar)
                         os.unlink(foo)
                 finally:
                         ziplock.release()

I think this code should be clear enough.
The program, before trying to download from the web, checks into its
cache repository to see if the file is available or not. If available,
it copies it from the local cache repository and adds to the archive,
else it downloads from the web and archives it.

Now in this scenario, with threads, say a file of 100 mb got downloaded
and then being zipped. It might take a couple of seconds for the zip to
complete. During those couple of seconds, if another thread's file (a
couple kb) gets downloaded/copied, will it wait for the lock to be
released or will it create another lock ?

Thanks,
Ritesh