NumPy 1.0 release

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 01:38:21 EDT 2006

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> We are very pleased to announce the release of NumPy 1.0 available for
> download at http://www.numpy.org

Congratulations for this great package and the tremendous effort that
was put on it! Hopefully with this release, the 'array wars' are over;
we may not be able to agree on the One And Only gui or web framework,
but at least we can settle on an array interface.

Unfortunately, the frustrating installation with ATLAS and LAPACK has
curbed my initial enthusiasm; this has probably more to do with Redhat
and its derivative distros than NumPy per se. After some hours of
downloading, configuring and compiling  LAPACK, ATLAS (whose 'make
testing' failed because of GNU Fortran's problems with complex
variables on Redhat, as I found out the hard way) and NumPy, I managed
to build them all, fire up the interpreter, import numpy and be greeted
by:

"/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
undefined symbol: s_cat".

After some more wasted time, I found out that I had to explicitly link
with "-lg2c". Rebuild, reinstall, reimport and the problem was gone...
giving its place to:

ImportError:
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
undefined symbol: zheevd_

Googling for "undefined symbol: zheevd_" returned no hits, at which
point I gave up for now; hopefully someone will have a suggestion on
what to do next (other than dumping RH's mess for Ubuntu, which I'd
gladly do if it was up to me).

By the way, it would be great if numpy's mailing list was mirrored to a
google group; sourceforge and gmane are just horrible to use.

Best regards,
George