ANN compiler2 : Produce bytecode from Python 2.5 Abstract Syntax Trees

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 24 13:40:18 EDT 2006

Paul Boddie schrieb:
>> Let me second this. The compiler package is largely unmaintained and
>> was known to be broken (and perhaps still is). A replacement
>> implementation, especially if it comes with a new maintainer, would
>> be welcome.
>
> I don't agree entirely with the "broken" assessment.

I was primarily talking about language support. For quite some time,
the compiler package wasn't able to compile the Python standard library,
until Guido van Rossum (and others) brought it back to work at the last
PyCon. It would simply reject certain more recent language constructs.
In the process of fixing it, it was also found to deviate from the
normal language definition, i.e. it would generate bad code.

Many of these are fixed, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are
still bugs remaining.

Regards,
Martin