Python to use a non open source bug tracker?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 3 08:39:56 EDT 2006

Giovanni Bajo schrieb:
 > I just read this mail by Brett Cannon:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-October/069139.html
> where the "PSF infrastracture committee", after weeks of evaluation, recommends
> using a non open source tracker (called JIRA - never heard before of course)
> for Python itself.
>
> Does this smell "Bitkeeper fiasco" to anyone else than me?

It's significantly different from the Bitkeeper fiasco in two important
ways:
1. Bitkeeper is a source revisioning system, so it is similar to CVS
   and Subversion. This project here is "just" the bug tracker, which is
   of lesser  importance. If we move to a different one some day, a
   certain amount of data lossage might be acceptable (e.g. we now
   likely lose the "history" of status changes and file attachments on
   each report). An export of all data is high on the requirements list,
   as Fredrik points out.
2. None of these systems require a specialized client. A plain
   web browser will do. IIRC, non-availibility of the Bitkeeper
   client (or: re-engineering of the existing one) was what really
   caused the fiasco. The same fiasco is not possible for the
   bug tracker.

Regards,
Martin