help with my first use of a class

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Fri Oct 20 11:17:41 EDT 2006

Fulvio wrote:
> ***********************
> Your mail has been scanned by InterScan MSS.
> ***********************
>

> On Friday 20 October 2006 14:34, James Stroud wrote:
>> You really don't need classes for this
>
> I'm in that matter too. Doesn't classes make the main program neater?

Depends on the program.

> Fundamentally OOP is the way to assemble ready objects to get a "thing"
> working, rather than worry about any single code line.

This is more a wishful dream than reality. While it can effectively be
pretty powerful - specially with dynamic languages like Python or Ruby -
OO is by no mean magical.

> Is this a concept of python?

If you mean "a concept specific to Python", well, not really - OO first
reared it's head with Simula in the sixties and matured in the seventies
with Smalltalk (which is still the reference IMHO). And it's (it->OO)
more an evolution/systematisation of concepts that already existed
before...

FWIW, I don't know if there's any truly Python-specific concept in
Python (except perhaps for the descriptor protocol, which is a somewhat
advanced topic if you're new to programming and OO...).

--
bruno desthuilliers