OT: Sarcasm and irony (was: Dive Into Java?)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Oct 9 19:18:29 EDT 2006

Bjoern Schliessmann <usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com> writes:

> E. g. [in Java there is] no operator overloading, but "+"
> concatenation of strings. What if you'd like to implement your own
> string-derived class? Ah, never mind. Operator overloading is
> bad(tm) ;) <= Irony, definitely

Definitely? That one strikes me more as sarcasm.

It would have been "irony" if, in attempting to combat operator
overloading, you instead demonstrated by your very efforts that it was
essential and beneficial.

(Yes, everything Alanis Morrissette complains of in her song "(Isn't
It) Ironic" is not at all ironic, but is merely unfortunate. There's a
possibility she was aware of this:
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironic_(song)#Lyrics_controversy>)

(good sigmonster, have a cookie)

--
 \         "I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono |
  `\   album; no rhyme or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and |