People's names

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 11 04:34:18 EDT 2006

Theerasak Photha schreef:
>> In Holland it is sorted without the 'van' 'de' etc.
>
> Which was my original point in mentioning similar Portuguese names. :)
>
> BTW, do Dutch/Flemish family names now follow the trend of dropping
> declension, as seen in both languages (dialects?) in general: e.g.,
> 'de' instead of 'der'?

My observation is that in general names keep hanging on to archaic forms
much longer than normal language. Examples:

- A very common name around here is Hendrickx. In normal language, the
'ckx' construction is replaced with 'ks'.
- 'Straat' (English: 'street') (or 'straten' in multiple) used to be
written 'straet' ('straeten'); in names it is still written like that:
'Verstraeten' is a common name. 'Verstraten' exists too though, but is
less common I think.

But I can't think of that many names with 'der', so maybe the
declensions have been dropped already.

Roel Schroeven