Tkinter--does anyone use it for sophisticated GUI development?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Sat Oct 21 10:24:04 EDT 2006

Christophe wrote:

> Nobody mentionned it, but I think you should try PyQT and PyGTK before
> wxPython. Myself, I do not like wx : it looks too much like the MFC.
>
> PyGTK is good, but GTK doesn't work that well on windows.

GTK and PyGTK works well on Windows now. GTK used to be unstable on
Windows, but that has been taken care of. I would not use anything else
but PyGTK for GUI development in Python. Go here to get the Windows
port:

http://www.mapr.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports/

With PyGTK and GLADE, the GUI can be designed in GLADE and imported as
an XML-resource (using libglade). It saves us of all the tedious
GUI-programming. All that is needed is the event handlers, which we
obviously have to code. When they are done, we simply put references to
them in a dictionary, and tell libglade to dispacth on it. All the GUI
programming crap is hidden away. Since there is no actual GUI code in
Python, it also makes maintenance and upgrading much easier: The GUI
can be redesigned in GLADE without affecting the Python code. Have you
ever tried to change anything in an MFC project with Visual C++? It's a
nightmare.