What value should be passed to make a function use the default argument value?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Oct 6 03:25:52 EDT 2006

On 2006-10-04, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Georg Brandl wrote:
>
>> This is an issue in most Python documentation: you're not told
>> if the described function is implemented in C, and if it is
>> keyword arg-enabled. The arguments must be given names though,
>> to be able to document them.
>
> the general rule is that if the documentation doesn't explicitly say
> that something is a keyword argument, it isn't, and shouldn't be treated
> as such.

Is this general rules documeted somewhere? My impression is that readers
of the documentation will treat arguments as keyword arguments unless
this is explicitly contradicted. The reason for this is that when they learn
about writing functions, parameters can be used as keuword arguments by
default.

So I don't think you can fault the readers for treating the
documentation as if it is talking about python functions.

--
Antoon Pardon