VIdeo Converence Software: Tk and thread synchronization

Paolo Pantaleo paolopantaleo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 08:42:15 EDT 2006

Hi,

I am going on writing my video conference software. I wrote the video
grab, code/decode, and netwoark (multicast) transport.

I have one thread doing this:

[thread 1]
while True:
  for some times:
    my_socket.recv() #blocking here
    store data
  compute image #here we have a complete new image to display

Now, I was thinking to display the image in a  Tk window. But I think
i will need a separate thread to run the mainloop() [thread 2], right?
 How can I signale to the Tk thread that a new image is ready to be
shown? I was thinkin on using an event generated for the first
(network) thread. But I don't know how to do it exactly. Any
suggestion, please?

What if I access to Tk object form thread 1, is Tk thread safe?

Thnx
PAolo

--
if you have a minute to spend please visit my photogrphy site:
http://mypic.co.nr