Set -Werror *inside* Python (Was Re: Can pdb be set to break on warnings?)

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Fri Oct 13 23:27:34 EDT 2006

This seems like very useful information. In the documentation I've
been maintaining for the extended python debugger
(http://bashdb.sf.net/pydb) I've added this as a little footnote:
http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/pydb/pydb/lib/pydb-invocation.html#foot1113

However since pydb allows for options on it's own, I wonder if there
might not be a way do this from *inside* a Python
debugger/program. Specifically so that when an execfile is called, it
is as though -Werror were given initially. Possibly by setting
sys.warnoptions? Anyone know offhand if that or something else will
work?

I'll do the testing myself if someone can give a small python program
that gives such a warning. (I realize most people contributing to
comp.lang.python write programs flawlessly the first time so they've
never come across such a warning message either, let alone have need
for a debugger; but this thread suggested that the perhaps there might
such a person who has seen a Python warning message exists. :-)