Restricting import file lookup for pyd, dll, ...

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Fri Oct 27 09:12:01 EDT 2006

Bernard Lebel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's because I'm using Python through another application, via the
> pywin32 extensions. When that other application starts, it performs
> several thousands of file requests (we're talking 4,500, roughly) in
> the Python installation, locations where there are Python files, and
> in some other locations that don't make sense. This adds considerable
> time to the startup time of the application, we're talking between 2
> and 9 seconds.

Sounds like a broken (networked?) file system. The only time I've
had that kind of problems with python startup is when I've had really
slow anti-virus programs that scanned all the files I opened. But then
it wasn't file requests that mattered, but actually opening them...
It still wasn't anywhere near 9 seconds though...