What's the best IDE?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 04:27:21 EST 2006

On 10/29/06, Theerasak Photha <hanumizzle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've used Emacs for a long time, but I think I might be going back to
> Vim 7.0 now that they improved the scripting functionality with *real*
> arrays and dicts. In some respects, this is now better than in Emacs,
> where the hash functionality is...well...cumbersome at best.
>
> Main reason would be that Vim is so much easier to customize and find
> things in than Emacs. I long time ago, I actually submitted a bug

Yes, I've read that, and I see that point. And that you can do
customization using Python. I've actually been tempted by Vim since I
read this

http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca/opinions/editors.html

(and Pinard is someone I do respect, and this is a very well argued document).

> (...)
> vimshell is a (nearly) full-blown terminal emulator facility for Vim
> http://www.wana.at/vimshell/

Thanks for this link! It looks really interesting. I'll try to give it
a try ASAP.
One question, though: can you "send" a block of code to a Python shell
running in vimshell? (somehow like you can do in Emacs)?

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Statistical Computing Team