Python component model

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Wed Oct 11 21:51:47 EDT 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 1:47 PM, fumanchu wrote:

>> 4) Custom property and component editors: A component editor can
>> present
>> a property editor or an editor for an entire component which the
>> visual
>> design-time RAD environment can use to allow the programmer end-
>> user of
>> the component to set or get component property values. Normally a
>> design
>> time environment will present default property editors for each
>> component property type, but a component can override this.
>
> This is the hard part. I believe Dabo has done some work in this
> space,
> but this is where the tight coupling comes in between code and tool, a
> coupling which Python has traditionally resisted.

	FWIW, the Dabo design tools store the design in a basic XML file,
and are completely transparent to outside editing. There is nothing
that prevents you from modifying a design in the editor of your
choice; the Dabo visual editing tools simply give you WYSIWYG
feedback as you edit.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com