The Python world tries to be polite [formerly offensive to another language]

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Sat Sep 30 13:26:59 EDT 2006

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:10:14 +0100,
	Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> My God, Perl 6 is going to be even less comprehensible that Perl 5,
> which was at least usable. Is »=>« really a Perl6 operator? That's too
> funny!

While we poor Python people have to cope with writing:
	d = dict(zip(k, v))
instead of Perl 6's
	%h = @k >>=><< @v;

But at least the Perl solution is 4 non-whitespace characters
shorter... unless you don't write the source in Unicode, in which you
have to put >> and << instead of the chevrons -- that makes it only 2
characters shorter.

> hoping-the-chevrons-were-emphasis-on-ly y'rs  - steve

Nope; they turn the operator into a hyper operator that iterates over
its operands.  See
<http://dev.perl.org/perl6/doc/design/syn/S03.html#___top>.  Perl 6:
the PL/1 of scripting languages.

--amk