get the en of a program running in background

awalter1 awalter1 at cegetel.net
Sun Sep 10 20:51:37 CEST 2006

Hi,
I develop a graphical user interface (with pyGTK) where a click on a
button shall launch a program P in background. I want to get the end of
this program P but I don't want that my HMI be freezed while P is
running.
I try to use fork examplesI found on the web, but it seems to not run
as expected.
I am not familiar with these techniques in unix as well as python.
But I suppose that my needs are usual, despite that I don't find
anything on the web ...
Is someone can give me a standard way to call a background program,
wait its end, with an IHM still active ?

Thank a lot for any idea.