"list index out of range" error

sam python.sam at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 20 17:26:10 EDT 2006

hey everybody, this is my first time posting here. i'm pretty new to
python and programming in general (as you'll soon work out for
yourselves...)

i'm trying to code a version of a selection sort and the heart of the
code is as follows (no_lines is simply the number of items to be
sorted, read out of an input file):

for j in range(0, no_lines):

    k = 0
    while k < no_lines:
        sorted_check = 0
        if list_initial[k] < list_initial[k+1]:
            temp_str = list_initial[k]
        elif list_initial[k] == list_initial[k+1]:
            temp_str = list_initial[k]
        elif list_initial[k] > list_initial[k+1]:
            temp_str = list_initial[k+1]
            sorted_check = 1
        k += 1

    list_initial.remove(temp_str)
    list_final.append(temp_str)
    no_lines -= 1

    if sorted_check == 0:
        break

problem is, i keep getting a "list index out of range" error. i've had
this problem before in different contexts with lists in loops.

i thought i had it cracked when it occurred to me that i needed to
decrement no_lines to take into account that list_initial was shrinking
as i deleted sorted items, but i still got the same error. it's
probably something trivial, but i can't seem to get round it by using
while loops, and i had the same problem with cmp(), hence the explicit
comparison above, which still doesn't work. can anyone help a beginner
out with this?

many thanks in advance,

sam lynas