Looking for the Perfect Editor
kent at kentsjohnson.com
Mon Sep 11 13:48:39 CEST 2006
Dick Moores wrote:
> At 06:30 PM 9/10/2006, Kent Johnson wrote:
>> Dick Moores wrote:
>>> Also, why do you use TextPad instead of IDLE?
>> You're kidding, right?
> No. Tell me, please. Macros? Comparing files? What else?
OK...please, no one interpret this as IDLE bashing or attempt to show me
a better way. I'm happy with TextPad and just writing this because I was
In my opinion:
- Most of my Python work is actually in Jython. I can run a Jython
program with a tool in TP. Actually I have separate tools for each
active project that set the correct working directory and invoke a batch
file with the right jars. Can't do that in IDLE.
- TextPad is a good general-purpose editor, not just for Python. All the
following reasons really come under this heading. I have an editor I
like, it works great for Python, there is really no reason to use IDLE.
- Fast and powerful multi-file search (easily specify the directory and
file types to search)
- Syntax highlighting for XML, HTML, Velocity templates, Ruby, Java,
- Word wrap
- Show invisibles
- Customizable with macros and external tools
- Open as binary
More information about the Python-list