sqlite3 error

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Sep 27 17:54:19 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> CREATE TABLE Researchers (
>      researcherID varchar(9) PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
>      birthYear int(4) DEFAULT NULL,
>      birthMonth int(2) DEFAULT NULL,
>      birthDay int(2) DEFAULT NULL,
>      birthCountry varchar(50) DEFAULT NULL,
>      birthState char(2) DEFAULT NULL,
>      birthCity varchar(50) DEFAULT NULL,
>      nameFirst varchar(50) NOT NULL,
>      nameLast varchar(50) NOT NULL,
>      nameGiven varchar(255) DEFAULT NULL,

A bit OT, but one answer to the "can you make a living with just
Python" question is "Yup, tool of choice for rummaging in and fixing
data that's been mangled by users cramming it into dodgy data models"
:-)

(1) Consider that some countries have states/provinces with 3-letter
abbreviations (e.g. Australia) or no abbreviation than I'm aware of in
a Latin alphabet (e.g. China).

(2) It's not apparent how you would use the first, last, and given
names columns, especially with two of them being "not null". Consider
how you would store e.g.:
J Edgar Hoover
DJ Delorie
Sukarno