CONSTRUCT - Adding Functionality to the Overall System

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Wed Sep 20 07:54:18 EDT 2006

MonkeeSage wrote:
> Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> > where do I place this function...
>
> The place where you want it to be.
>
> > ...thus it becomes available within class "Foo" and all other Classes?
>
> Anything defined in the top-level (i.e., the sys.modules['__main__']
> namespace) is accessible in every scope...but I assume you already know
> that.

no, I don't know it.

how do I define something into the top-level namespace? I assume I
could place it into the root-package of my project, into the __init__
function.

But how do I place it within my computers python installation (the big
init)?

> You could also use a super-duper super class from which to derive all
> your other classes, and add/replace any methods you want there:
>
> class lazaridis(object):

I am aware of this technique.

But I want to modify existent classes, without touching their code.

> > Something like a central import?
>
> That would probably be the most logical thing to do.
>
> But again, I assume you already know all this, so why are you asking?
> Is this part of the evaluation process?

I am not evaluating Python, I've started using it:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/Lang
http://dev.lazaridis.com/base

-

I've noticed some interesting code on you website:

"
class file(file):
  def reopen(self, name=None, mode='w', bufsize=None):

fh = file('test.txt', 'rb')
print fh # <open file 'test.txt', mode 'rb' at 0xb7c92814>
fh.reopen(mode='wb')
"
http://rightfootin.blogspot.com/2006/09/ruby-reopen.html

does this mean that I can add a method to a class in a similar way with
ruby? (by using class class-name(class-name): )

but the limitation is that I cannot do this with the python build-in
types?:

http://rightfootin.blogspot.com/2006/08/of-rocks-and-reptiles.html

.