threading support in python

Paul Rubin http
Tue Sep 5 21:49:14 EDT 2006

Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> writes:
> >which more explicitly shows the semantics actually desired.  Not that
> >"huge" a benefit as far as I can tell.  Lisp programmers have gotten
> >along fine without it for 40+ years...
>
> Uh yea.  No lisp programmer has ever written a with-* function... ever.

The context was Lisp programmers have gotten along fine without
counting on the refcounting GC semantics that sjdevnull advocates
Python stay with.  GC is supposed to make it look like every object
stays around forever, and any finalizer that causes an explicit
internal state change in an extant object (like closing a file or
socket) is not in the GC spirit to begin with.