newbie IronPython compiled scripts speed question

Lawrence Oluyede rhymes at myself.com
Sun Sep 24 16:59:34 EDT 2006

dtlog <agarwaengrc at blabla_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I searched the faqs at python.org and didn't find an answer:
> does using IronPython, instead of CPython, and compiling the
> scripts into native windows executables (I heard IronPython
> can do that) result in faster execution times?

I don't know what you heard but IronPython generates IL code which
happens to be the bytecode of the CLR (the runtime of .NET). So you are
not generating "native" stuff but a PE executable wrapping the .NET
stuff in it. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Executable#.NET.2C_metadata.2C_and
_the_PE_format

It seems IronPython being faster than CPython 2.4 in some tests but I
can't say anything about that because I haven't seen that tests :-)

--
Lawrence - http://www.oluyede.org/blog
"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea