Fatal error after RE-installing Python 2.3.4

Cappy2112 cappy2112 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 14:25:23 EDT 2006

> "deleted" the core 2.3.4 distribution [from where? how?] or
> "uninstalled"?
Uninstalled

>> Was c:\windows\system32\python23.dll blown away?
Yes, as part of the uninstall process.

>>> Are you installing it for "all users" or for a single user?
ALl users, using Admin priveledges

> Do a search for python23.dll -- you may find two. This can happen if
> you have switched from one way to the other way. DLL in
> c:\windows\system32 => all users. DLL somewhere else e.g. c:\python23
> => specific user. Check how this is set up on other working boxes.
> Check date and size while you are doing that. Also check what they have
> on their system path compared to yours.

will try on Monday
My path is the same. We all followa detailed installation, tools
configuration procedure/.
I've compared my path to one other workign machine.

> Have you tried running it with the -v commandline arg to see how far it
> gets before crashing?
No- will try it on Monday

> > Oddly enough, when I run Python.exe from the Program Files menu, it
> > launches just fine.
> Yeah, different path.

> Some thoughts and questions:
> 1. Telling us what the allegedly spurious pychecker warnings were would
> be a good idea.

pychecker isn't really a concern at this point- and has ben uninstalled
(actually deleted, since there is no installer/uninstaller for this
package.)
But I was getting lots of missing module warnings, which two of my
co-workers did not get.

> 2. I don't understand the "my job depends" part. Are you responsible
> for providing your own computer and installing your own tool-chain on
> it??
No

>>Is this an initiative test?
No.

>>Can't you get the admin(s) to install a clean tested kit for you?
No.

> 3. What is this PC's history? Has it been used successfully in this
> environment before you turned up?
Yes- I have been using it to run python scripts for the last 2 weeks.
When I saw the pychecker anomally, I decided to rein-install Python & a
few of the packages.

>>Are all the other engineers using the same configuration?
yes

>>> 4. Is Python 2.3.5 a possibility?
No, not in practice. But I tried installing 2.3.5 to see what would
happen.
Same problem.

Thanks