HTTP GET Explodes...

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Sep 23 22:11:35 EDT 2006

Pete wrote:
> Fade in to episode II...

> > This is compiling a *constant* regular expression, and works OK on the
> > Windows distribution of Python 2.4.3 :
>
> Hmmmm. Here's the version information stuff:
>
> Python 2.4.2 (#1, Feb 12 2006, 03:59:46)
> [GCC 4.1.0 20060210 (Red Hat 4.1.0-0.24)] on linux2
>
> I'm going to upgrade Python and see if that has any effect...
> I'm running this on a Fedora Core 5 box...

> > You appear to be running 2.4.n; what is n, and exactly which *x
> > platform are you running it on? Perhaps a file in /usr/lib/python2.4 is
> > corrupt, but we won't know until you give the *full* traceback. Do you
> > get the same results when you try what I did at the interpreter
> > interactive prompt?
>
> The error I received was from the interactive prompt thing.

So I noticed from your first posting. Now do what you were asked: try
what I did.

> Is there
> some way I can get more verbose information or something that would be
> more helpful?

Yes, just include the whole traceback!!! Example of what I mean is
below:

| C:\junk>copy con wally.py
| guff = 1 / 0
| ^Z
|         1 file(s) copied.
|
| C:\junk>python
| Python 2.4.3 (#69, Mar 29 2006, 17:35:34) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32
| Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.
| Traceback (most recent call last):
|   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?

Your posting appeared truncated when viewed with both Google groups and
in a regular newsreader.
There is no guarantee that the last line shown is the one that caused
the error.
Just as if this example were missing the following lines, we don't know
which
source line caused the error, nor even what the error was!!

|   File "wally.py", line 1, in ?
|     guff = 1 / 0
| ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

HTH,
John