Can't Get Email Interface Working

Eric Price soyouthinkimgonnalikethis at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 7 17:36:15 EDT 2007

>From: Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com>
>To: python-list at python.org
>Subject: Re: Can't Get Email Interface Working
>Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 20:07:53 GMT
>
>On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 13:42:38 -0500, "Eric Price"
><soyouthinkimgonnalikethis at hotmail.com> declaimed the following in
>comp.lang.python:
>
> > >	Complain to the providers of the server? Or find out what the host
> > >name is for the outgoing SMTPd connection, and use it directly.
> >
> > Complaining isn't going to help. How do I determine the outgoing smtpd
> > connection and how do I use it directly?
>
>	You're going to have to go to the people who administer that machine
>one way or another... If gethostname() is returning an invalid name,
>there is a system misconfiguration either on that host, or in some DNS
>system used by that host.

Okay, can you tell me what I need to tell them? If I simply say that
python's gethostname() isn't returning the correct value, they'll just tell
me they don't service python...and it's my problem :)

>	Furthermore, on second review of your original post, it is not the
>attempt to access SMTPd that is failing (you didn't even get to trying
>to connect to an SMTPd on "localhost") -- it is the MIME package trying
>to generate a unique boundary string to be used in separating the
>alternate parts of your message.

I know.

>	Do you really NEED to send it in both "plain text" and "html"
>formats? If you can get by with just plain text, you could drop the
>whole MIME portion.

No. I also tried the little script that's in Guido's explanation of smtplib
and got the same error for now-obvious reasons. I'll revert to that most
probably.
TIA,
Eric