No zlib in Python 2.4.4

shamzz at gmail.com shamzz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 04:48:52 EDT 2007

On Apr 11, 9:14 am, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <bj_... at gmx.net> wrote:
> In <1176278576.196716.104... at p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, shamzz wrote:
> > Shouldn't zlib be compiled as a Python module automatically in Python
> > 2.4.4.  I'm guessing Python is doing some kind of check and not
> > compiling zlib for some reason?
>
> It only gets compiled if the header files can be found.  Is the zlib-dev
> or zlib-devel package installed?

Thanks for the fast reply... this seems to be going off topic from
Python so sorry about that.

But yep, I've just installed (through YAST) the zlib-devel and zlib-
devel-32 packages (zlib and zlib-32bit are already installed).

I then did a make clean/configure/make/make install with the Python
source, but it's still not compiling with zlib.

I've downloaded the latest (source) version of zlib 1.2.3, is it
possible to manually compile it from the zlib source into Python?

Thanks for your help,
Shams.