how to create/ref globals in an alternate namespace?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Fri Apr 27 17:33:22 EDT 2007

On Friday, Apr 27th 2007 at 14:07 -0700, quoth James Stroud:

=>Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> I have two seperate modules doing factory stuff which each have the
=>> similar function2:
=>>
=>> In the ds101 module, def DS101CLASS(mname,data):
=>>     cname = mname+'DS101'
=>>     msg_class = globals()[cname]
=>>     msg = msg_class(data)
=>>     return msg
=>>
=>> and in the fdu module,
=>>
=>> def FDUCLASS(mname,data):
=>>     cname = mname+'FDU'
=>>     msg_class = globals()[cname]
=>>     msg = msg_class(data)
=>>     return msg
=>>
=>> I was thinking I'd be clever and create a common function:
=>> def procCLASS(mname, objname, data):
=>>     cname = mname+objname
=>>     msg_class = globals()[cname]
=>>     msg = msg_class(data)
=>>     return msg
=>>
=>> but the call to globals fouls it all up. Is there a way to write it so
=>> that the call to globals can be parameterized to be in the context of a
=>> specific module?
=>>
=>> Also, I need to go the other way, a la,
=>>         globals()[name] = nclass
=>>
=>> Is this doable?
=>>
=>> TIA
=>>
=>
=>Why do you need all of the msg_class(es) global? Why not put them into a
=>module and import the module where you need them? This would be the
=>conventional way to avoid such problems.

The idea is that DS101 is being called in a loop in the ds101 module to
create a lot of msg_classes. The same is true for the FDUCLASS function;
it creates a lot of classes in a loop.

In addition, I have two other functions, almost alike, in two seperate
modules (mdefs is a structure with all of the stuff needed to drive the
loops)

def __InitDS101Classes():
    for m in mdefs:
        mdef = mdefs[m]
        name = mdefs[m]['name']+'DS101'
        nclass = new.classobj(name,(DS101,),{})
        nclass.mdef = mdef
        nclass.mid = m
        globals()[name] = nclass

def __InitFDUClasses():
    for m in mdefs:
        mdef = mdefs[m]
        name = mdefs[m]['name']+'FDU'
        nclass = new.classobj(name,(FDU,),{})
        nclass.mdef = mdef
        nclass.mid = m
        globals()[name] = nclass

I'm trying to see if by being clever, I can factor out the common code of
the four different functions and still end up with what they create ending
up in the namespaces where they are intended to reside in. Does this make
sense or am I way off base?

steveo at syslang.net