Creating an EXE for XLRD + WIN32COM + wxWidgets application - Help request

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Thu Apr 12 09:58:30 EDT 2007

BrendanC wrote:
> I've started learninhg Python and have developed a small Python app
> that imports Excel data into an Access mdb/jet database. This
> application has dependencies on the following:
>
> XLRD - http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd/0.5.2  -  (to read Excel
> files)
> Python windows extensions - http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/
> - to use ADO
> wxPython GUI toolkit - http://www.wxpython.org/ - for the GUI
> interface
>
> Ideally I'd like to create a standalone app that I can deliver to a
> client who can will run this on a Windows system that has Access
> installed. (Python will not be installed on this system).
>
> I'm planning to use P2YEXE for the build - however I'm not sure if it
> is possible to include all the required components for this in a
> package. I imagine there may be a few 'gotchas' with this.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do this and are there some additional issues
> I might run into?
>
> Thx in advance
>
> BrendanC

I can tell you that I've used py2exe to build quite a number of apps
that depended on many different pieces.  I have not experience with XLRD
but the other pieces you use work just fine.  Check on www.py2exe.org
for docs an wiki.  There is also a newsgroup at gmane.comp.python.py2exe
that you can submit questions to if you like.  I know that it is
monitored by Mark Hammond, Thomas Heller, and other users of py2exe
that can help you.

-Larry