OverflowError: mktime argument out of range ???

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Apr 16 18:09:27 EDT 2007

On Apr 17, 1:02 am, "Paul Boddie" <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> John Machin wrote:
>
> > Maybe it does. It sure would be nice to get a definite answer. Pity
> > nobody documented the time module.
>
> "The epoch is the point where the time starts. On January 1st of that
> year, at 0 hours, the ``time since the epoch'' is zero. For Unix, the
> epoch is 1970. To find out what the epoch is, look at gmtime(0)."
>
> "The functions in this module do not handle dates and times before the
> epoch or far in the future."
>
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-time.html

Hypothesis 1: I must have missed that somehow!
Hypothesis 2: That page wasn't there yesterday!
Hypothesis 3: You may need to consider rebooting your irony detector.

FWIW you didn't quote what it says about the function that the OP was
calling (mktime):

"""If the input value cannot be represented as a valid time, either
OverflowError or ValueError will be raised (which depends on whether
the invalid value is caught by Python or the underlying C libraries).
The earliest date for which it can generate a time is platform-
dependent."""

Cheers,
John