Would You Write Python Articles or Screencasts for Money?

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:08:27 EDT 2007

Steve Holden wrote:

> I'm sorry, but while the PSF is a democratically-run organization its
> franchise doesn't extend beyond the membership.

I didn't realize this was about an PSF internal affair. Of course a
group of people can decide on its internal matters without asking anyone
else, as long as its actions do not damage the larger community around
it. I'm sorry to have interfered with your private discussions, they
took place on an international newsgroup aimed at the global python
community at large, you might consider taking it elsewhere, but since
there is no moderation, go and spam this group with your posts as much
as you like.

> You might as well suggest that America isn't being democratic because it
> doesn't allow the French to vote for its president.

Neither France nor America strike me as being very democratic at the
moment, because large parts of their communities have no way of voting
on a person or party that represents their specific interests. It's the
same way in the Netherlands where I live by he way, so no criticism is
intended by me, in any way.

I was picturing this thread more in terms like the international court
which at least constitutionally *tries* to be democratic in a global
community alike manner, albeit unfortunately also failing miserably.

It seems current western democracies are preferable over the total chaos
that we see in Iraq because its internal legal structure was removed
without providing a functional alternative. History shows -to me- that
even an evil dictator is better than that. That doesn't mean people
shouldn't try to aim higher. Higher than accepting even a benevolent
dictator.

So in my case the question becomes if I would be willing to promote the
interests of some group that doesn't represent me, for a chance that I
may comply with their objectives, which I cannot influence. I'd say: No
I don't want to do that, although I also wouldn't go out of my way in
order to *not* comply.

Thanks for clearing it all up. Have a nice life.

A.