Python universal build, OSX 10.3.9 and undefined symbols when linking

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Sun Apr 8 22:56:04 EDT 2007

Hi. I am on a PPC and have been getting the same undefined symbols
traceback when linking applications after compiling. A few weeks back I
posted on a problem to pythonmac-sig at python.org after attempting to
build mod_python, today its pylucene - same problem. I initially
shrugged off the problem with mod_python as likely an issue with the mac
port.

Crazy thing is that I built the same version of pylucene successfully
just before upgrading to universal build of 2.4.4 python for mac without
problems. So I recompiled the same version of pylucene I had previously
built with a PPC only build of python to evaluate whether my thoughts
were right. I had a hunch universal python was causing my trouble with
mod_python and a newer build of pylucene and it appears I was right. I
am currently using Mac OSX 10.3.9 on a PPC with universal build of
2.4.4. I should say that other than linking problem I am experiencing,
the python functions as it should.

 From mod_python build:

ld: Undefined symbols:
_fstatvfs referenced from Python expected to be defined in libSystem
_lchown referenced from Python expected to be defined in libSystem
_statvfs referenced from Python expected to be defined in libSystem
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536
.
make[1]: *** [mod_python.so] Error 1
make: *** [do_dso] Error 2

 From pylucene build:

ld: Undefined symbols:
_fstatvfs referenced from Python expected to be defined in libSystem
_lchown referenced from Python expected to be defined in libSystem
_statvfs referenced from Python expected to be defined in libSystem
gmake: *** [release/_PyLucene.so] Error 1

I have googled to see there have been others with this issue however
they have tended to communicate about the problem on software lists or
forums specific to the software they were attempting to build. I did not
see this resolved in any case that I have read.

I am hoping someone may be able to advise a possible solution. I am
planning on upgrading to OSX 10.4 within a week since mac is not making
the JDK 1.5.0 available for OSX 10.3 users - so pretty much being forced
into upgrading in any case.

If you had the same linking issue with the universal build of python it
would be good to hear from you - better yet would be some way of solving
this or at least understanding what may be going on. I have posted to
pythonmac-sig at python.org in the interim but there is very little traffic
on this list. In the meantime I thought there may other OSX 10.3.9 users
out there who may have run into the same fate. Many thanks.

Regards,
David