python and COM

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Fri Apr 27 15:50:21 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to communicate to a Reuters feed using Python, using a particular set of
libraries called the Adfin Real Time library.  I have VB code, and am trying to port
it to python, and admit I really do not understand COM objects and being a Linux guy
mainly, I don't use VB at all.  I've had some marginal success, but am coming up
empty when it comes to setting up callbacks.

For example, this works:

import win32com.client
import time

symb='GOOG.O'

mylist=win32com.client.Dispatch('AdfinXRTLib.AdxRtList')

mylist.Source="IDN_RDF"
mylist.RegisterItems(symb,"ASK")
mylist.StartUpdates(4)  # Mode Image

while mylist.ItemStatus(symb):
     pass

for i in range(100):
     m=mylist.Value(symb,"ASK")
     print m
     time.sleep(2)

but to get it to automatically updated quotes, in VB they do something like

#================
Public Class Form1
   # Dimension a Public Real Time list object that is capable of handling events
   # note from me:  not sure what this line does really
   Dim WithEvents AdxList As New AdfinXRTLib.AdxRTList

   Public Sub AdxList_OnUpdate( <some args deleted>) Handles AdxList.OnUpdate

      do stuff with the updated data

   End Sub

   Private Sub Button1_Click(<some args deleted>)

      do stuff with button click
   End Sub
End Class
#================

It seems as if the important part is the "Handles AdxList.OnUpdate", which I assume
is basically saying "call me when AdxList.OnUpdate is called".  I have no idea how to
get this to point to a python function, so I can make the AdxList.OnUpdate call
python code.

Is there a tutorial somewhere about this stuff, or is there a proper place to ask
such questions?

	thanks,

			Brian Blais

--