editing scripts on a mac

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 27 19:31:58 EDT 2007

Thomas Nelson wrote:
> On Apr 27, 11:37 am, Tommy Grav <t... at mac.com> wrote:
>
>>>him> I do not have a text editor, but here are the answers to
>>>him> questions 1-5.
>>
>>>Now, frankly, I don't think this answer is correct, since I know OS
>>>X is
>>>a UNIX derivative, but I am loathe to involve a programming noob
>>>with vi
>>>or something similar. So I wondered if one of the c.l.py mac users
>>>could
>>>give brief instructions for firing up a visual text editor of some
>>>sort
>>>and saving a file somewhere it can easily be accessed from a terminal
>>>window (which I presume starts up in his home directory).
>>

> 1) Open Finder, click "Applications", and open "TextEdit".
> 2) hit shift-apple-T, or select Format -> Make Plain Text,  to put you
> in plaintext mode (It's .rtf by default)
> 3) Make sure you save in the home directory (usually a picture of a
> house).
>
> HTH,
> Tom

I would recommend against the TextEdit recommendation. First, it is not
a full-featured text editor, so you will switch soon to a real one.
Second, its too easy to save as rtf, even with the txt extension--and it
will take some time and frustration to realize your mistake. The best
option is TextWrangler for non-vi, non-emacs people. Sometimes its even
a good option for vi & emacs people.

James