troubles building python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server 2003 sp1 Platform SDK

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Apr 4 17:04:09 EDT 2007

bhochstetler at gmail.com schrieb:
> I am needing to build python 2.5 on Windows XP x64 Windows Server 2003
> sp1 Platform SDK and am not finding anything documented on the process
> to use. Has anyone had any success with this?

I did - I built the official binaries with it.

> If so has anyone
> documented it? The documentation that resides in pcbuild/readme.txt is
> not helpful at all.

Did you try to follow it? If so, what precisely did you fail at?

[in another message]

> This doc has not been updated since the 64 bit compilers came out
> officially.

That is not true. The documentation was last updated on 2006-07-14,
which is after an AMD-64 SDK was released.

> It doesn't make a whole lot of sense of what steps you
> should follow to build python. I saw a link on the comp.lang.python
> that had the steps, but that link doesn't go anywhere now. I had to
> jump through some hoops to get it to build on VC 2005 64 bit, but that
> at least had an IDE to use

If you use vsextcomp, you also have an IDE to do the build. This
is indeed how the official AMD-64 binaries for Python 2.5 were
produced.

Regards,
Martin