Python Feature Request: Allow changing base of member indices to 1

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Sat Apr 14 11:35:57 EDT 2007

jamadagni wrote:
> OK fine. It is clear that this feature must be implemented if at all
> only on a per-module basis. So can we have votes for per-module
> implementation of this feature?

The only way that can work is if the API to the module doesn't expose
ANY sequence indices.  It would be a great pain to have to remember
which of the modules you've imported expect base 0 and which expect
base 1. (There's a Monty Python sketch: a station full of police
officers who only understand you if you speak
slowly/quickly/high-pitched/low-pitched/etc. depending on the
individual officer.)

The scheme could work if the module was carefully programmed to show
and accept only application-relevant values that nobody would expect
to have an alternative base -- quantities of things, arbitrary code
numbers, and the like.

	Mel.