Calling Python from Javascript?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Apr 11 16:31:04 EDT 2007

Kenneth McDonald <kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I know that there's some work out there to let Python make use of
> Javascript (Spidermonkey) via (I assume) some sort of bridging C/C++
> code. Anyone know of efforts to allow the reverse? I'd really like to
> make use of Python when doing Mozilla DOM programming, and I can never
> get a clear idea of when PyXPCOM might be available to those of us who
> don't know the ins and outs of compiling Mozilla, and its XPCOM
> structures. So if there was an easy way to simply and quickly pass
> even just strings back and forth between Python and Moz Javascript,
> that would make certain things a heck of a lot easier.

I too wonder what happened to Mark Hammond's work on the
DOM_AGNOSTIC_2 branch a year or so back.  Might be nice to be able to
write Firefox extensions in Python.

Practically, I know that e.g. the firefox htmltidy extension (I forget
the name) contains binaries built from C code, not just JS, so I guess
you could write a Firefox extension that embeds CPython in a similar
way.

John