Styled Output

Michael Bentley michael at jedimindworks.com
Sat Apr 21 11:29:13 EDT 2007

On Apr 21, 2007, at 3:21 AM, Robert Rawlins - Think Blue wrote:

> Chaps,
>

> Hope you’re all having a good weekend, I’m sure it’ll only be the
> more ‘hard core’ of you reading this, anyone with any sanity would
> be out in the sunshine right now.
>

> I’m running a program of mine from Linux bash script and it
> currently outputs status messages to the command prompt, but they
> all look a little boring to say the least, it’ll be like this.
>

> Application Started
>
> Sucess
>
> Application Configured
>
> Failed
>
> Retry
>
> Application Configured
>
> Success
>

> What I’d ideally like to do it give it a little bit of format, so
> it perhaps looks something like this.
>

> Application
> Started
>                                                           [Success]
>
> Application
> Configured
>                                                       [Success]
>

> And perhaps have the word ‘success’ in green, or red for ‘failed’
> and things like that, just to make it a little more presentable to
> the user.
>

> Any ideas on the best way to achieve this?

He, he -- umm yeah (and who said all that time with THEDRAW as a kid
would never pay off) ;-) Try this:

#! /usr/bin/env python

def statusMessage(msg, status, msgWidth=60):
     if status.lower() == 'success':
         status = '\033[32m[%s]\033[00m' % status
     elif status.lower() == 'failed':
         status = '\033[31m[%s]\033[00m' % status
     else:
         status = '\033[33m[%s]\033[00m' % status

     msg = msg + ' ' * (msgWidth - len(msg))
     print '%s%s' % (msg, status)

if __name__ == '__main__':
     statusMessage('Application Started', 'Success')
     statusMessage('Application Configured', 'Failed')
     statusMessage('', 'Retry')
     statusMessage('Application Configured', 'Success')