Hide the python-script from user

Jason F. McBrayer jmcbray-usenet at carcosa.net
Sat Apr 7 08:55:04 EDT 2007

hlubenow <hlubenow2 at gmx.net> writes:

> Ok, but now I can offer a real secure solution:

Nope.

[snip]

> Then you have to program a start-script, that reads in your script and the
> decryption-key. The decryption-key must be encrypted too. Such a encrypted
> key can be generated by the modules if you don't pass a password to my
> function "doEncrypt(). The decryption-key must then be hidden somewhere
> within the encrypted program-script. That's because, if the user knows
> where to find the key, he can decrypt the program-script.
>
> If your start-script is written, everything should work automatically, one
> shouldn't nearly notice the decryption-process.

That is to say, for the user to be able to run your program, they must
have the key.  They don't have to know they have the key, but they
have to have it.  This isn't really secure, it's just obscure.  It
depends on the user not finding the key, and on no one telling them
where it is.  A determined and technically savvy user will surely find
the key (not least by debugging the start-script).

Basically, this doesn't work for the same reason that DRM doesn't
work.