Compiling python from soruce vs RPM ?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Apr 18 18:10:50 EDT 2007

howa wrote:
> I have compiled python 2.5 from source
>
> i.e.
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install

By default, configure uses /usr/local as the "prefix", not /usr...

> but when i try to install another package require python, seems it
> can't regonize python...
>
> e.g..
>

> /usr/bin/python is needed by xyz

Consequently, by default, Python will be found at /usr/local/bin/
python, not /usr/bin/python as you seem to require. Try building from
source again:

make clean # probably needed if rebuilding in the same place
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

Since /usr/bin/python isn't found, it doesn't look like there's an
existing version of Python that you might overwrite, but it's
important to verify such things when installing software. That's where
your distribution's packages have an advantage, and it's arguably a
better idea to install such packages instead, possibly building them
from source if no binary packages exist yet for Python 2.5. (If no
source packages exist, you have a bit more work to do.)

Paul