Mail not setting timestamp

Lorenzo Thurman lorenzo at diespammerhethurmans.com
Sat Apr 7 14:28:47 EDT 2007

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> Lorenzo Thurman wrote:
>
>> I'm using the Mimewriter and mimetools modules to create html messages.
>> They work OK, except that when the messages are received, they always
>> have the timestamp of 12/31/1969. I've looked through both packages and
>> can't find anything that would allow me to manually set it. Can someone
>> help me out?
>
> The date goes into the message headers, like From, To, Subject...
> message.add_header("Date", "Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:18:15 -0300")
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

Thanks for the reply. When I try this though, I get an error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./synctest.py", line 202, in ?
     message = createhtmlmail(html, text, subject)
   File "./synctest.py", line 49, in createhtmlmail
     writer.addheader("Date", theDate)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/MimeWriter.py", line 100, in addheader
     lines = value.split("\n")
AttributeError: 'datetime.datetime' object has no attribute 'split'

I'm trying to use a variable for the date, since of course, it should
always be 'now'.
someDate = datetime.datetime.now()
writer.addheader("Date", someDate)
Hard coding a date, like your example, works just fine.
Any ideas?