Sorting a list of Unicode strings?

Tommy Nordgren tommy.nordgren at
Mon Aug 20 13:08:21 CEST 2007

On 19 aug 2007, at 18.50, oliver at wrote:

> Hey Guys,
> Maybe I'm missing something fundamental here, but if I have a list of
> Unicode strings, and I want to sort these alphabetically, then it
> places those that begin with unicode characters at the bottom. Is
> there a way to avoid this, and make it sort them properly?
> I'm sure that this is the "proper way" programatically with character
> entities etc. - but when I have a list of countries, and I have Åland
> Islands right at the bottom, it just doesn't look right.
> Any help would be really appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Oliver
> --
	That is the correct alfabetic sort order for Åland.
The Swedish letters Å , Ä and Ö sorts last in Alphabetic order.
An astronomer to a colleague:
-I can't understsnad how you can go to the brothel as often as you
do. Not only is it a filthy habit, but it must cost a lot of money too.
-Thats no problem. I've got a big government grant for the study of
black holes.
Tommy Nordgren
tommy.nordgren at