Development for dual core machine

Andy fukazawa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 05:21:27 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

I'm sorry, I'm not sure this is the correct group to be asking this
kind of question...

I'm going to develop a software package that includes a web server
(and PHP code) , a database, and some Python code of course.  I am
being strongly suggested to make it to work on a dual- or multi-core
computer, but I'm confused on how to take advantage of the multiple
CPUs.

>From what I read, I think that simply by making the package run in
several separate processes (web server, database server, Python
interpreter, etc.), and/or using multiple threads (which I will
anyway) the package should be able to use multiple CPUs.

Is my understanding correct?  So actually, all I have to do is just
write my multi-threaded Python code as usual?  And how is it decided
which process and which threads go to CPU 1, CPU 2, etc.?  Perhaps the
BIOS?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Andy