Python MAPI

vasudevram vasudevram at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 06:05:16 EDT 2007

On Jul 23, 6:07 pm, kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:

>Well, I ran Process Monitor with some filters enabled to only watch
Thunderbird and MS Word. Unfortunately, that didn't give me any of the
registry edits, so I disabled my filters and ran it without. Now I
have a log file with 28,000 entries. It's amazing to see all the stuff
that happens in just a few moments, but how am I supposed to parse
this mess?

Explorer.exe and outlook express do thousands of the registry calls
and the paths they manipulate vary wildly. Oh well, I'll be off the
clock in about 15 minutes so it can wait until Monday.

Thanks for your help. I'll post if I figure out anything...hopefully
you'll do the same.

---

Sorry for not replying earlier ... I searched this list for the topic
(Python MAPI) a few times but couldn't find it - not sure why - maybe
Google Groups's indexing gets messed up sometimes ...

Yes, so many entries would be a problem to parse manually ...

That's why I suggested using a grep for Windows - or, preferably, an
egrep - which is a more powerful version of grep; e.g. basic grep only
allows you to use one regexp at a time - while egrep allows you to use
extended regular expressions, such as "pattern1|pattern2", also
"patt(e|u)rn(1|2)" which looks in parallel for pattern1, patturn1,
pattern2 and patturn2 - I used a made-up example where the spelling of
pattern could be wrong, but it works for any other cases of
alternative patterns and subpatterns as well. Not sure if there is any
egrep for Windows - try Googling. If not, and the problem is important
enough, you might want to install Cygwin (its a big download, so first
check if it _does_ have egrep in it).

Vasudev