Fatal Python error using ctypes & python exceptions

mmacrobert mmacrobert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 10:37:20 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone,
I've created a 'C' dll that is accessed via ctypes library containing
a bunch of functions. I've successfully been able to use the
functions. However, I would like to throw python exceptions from some
of them.

I throw them using: ::PyErr_SetString(::PyExc_RuntimeError,
theErrorString);

I crash the console when this function is invoked in the 'C' domain. I
get an error stating:

Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread

when the calling code in python is:

try:
    cdll.MyDll.ThrowingFunction()
except:
    print "An error has occurred"

The dll is just a plain win32 'C' dll, built with an MS compiler. How
do I throw python exceptions correctly? Is there some kind of "init"
function that needs to be called?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin