status of Programming by Contract (PEP 316)?

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at
Fri Aug 31 11:31:05 CEST 2007

On Aug 31, 10:02 am, Russ <uymqlp... at> wrote:
> Hi Alex. I've always enjoyed your Piggies talks at
> Google (although I missed he last one because I was out
> of town). I'm disappointed to see that you seem to have
> taken personal offense from remarks I made to someone else who
> attacked me first.

I am curious. Why do you think I attacked you? The conversion went as

> On Aug 29, 7:21 am, Russ <uymqlp... at> wrote:
>> Thanks for that information. That's too bad, because it seems like a
>> strong positive capability to add to Python. I wonder why the cold
>> reception. Were there problems with the idea itself or just the
>> implementation? Or is it just a low priority?

> me:
> Why do you think that would ad a strong positive capability?
> To me at least it seems a big fat lot of over-engineering, not
> needed in 99% of programs. In the remaining 1%, it would still not
> be needed since Python provides out of the box very powerful
> metaprogramming capabilities so that you can implement
> yourself the checks you need, if you really need them.

Basically you said "I think DbC is good" and I said "I don't think
I would not call that an attack. If you want to see an attack, wait
Alex replying to you observations about the low quality of code at
Google! ;)

       Michele Simionato

More information about the Python-list mailing list