Chaining programs with pipe

Karthik Gurusamy kar1107 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 23:58:13 EDT 2007

On Aug 21, 8:33 pm, Grant Edwards <gra... at visi.com> wrote:
> On 2007-08-22, Karthik Gurusamy <kar1... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Not sure on non-unix platforms, but in unix like platforms it's best
> > to reuse shell's power.

> > '      4       4      24'
>
> Executing a shell just because you want a pipe seems like a bit
> of overkill.  Doing it the "right" way with subprocess is
> pretty trivial.

Probably I should've put extra stress on the word "reuse".
The example quoted was trivial; if you replace the pipeline to have
say 5 processes, the advantage of not-reinventing the wheel becomes
more obvious.

I would call hand-crafting the pipe-setup an "overkill" when a very
good solution already exists to solve the problem. Yes, it may be
trivial to do; but not simpler than delegating to a shell.

Karthik