New UI Toolkit

Richard Jones richardjones at optushome.com.au
Sun Aug 26 17:46:45 EDT 2007

Gerdus van Zyl wrote:
> I am halfway to a first release of a new GUI library for python. It
> will be cross platform and follows the Swing philosophy of user
> experience and interface fidelity above "but it doesn't look like
> windows!" (aside: neither does office 2007 or windowsmediaplayer).
>
> The library is built on top of CairoGraphics (cairographics.org) and
> currently has a rather stable backend for Win32 and experimental
> backends for GTK,Pyglet,pygame.

I am also developing a gui toolkit (for somewhat similar reasons to you,
though unrelated to Swing) but it's for pyglet only. If you're interested,
you can find it in the pyglet SVN under contrib/wydget. It's under heavy
development and is fairly advanced (in terms of widgets, layouts, dialogs
etc implemented) already.

> Please reply and let your thoughts be known. Is there a need for a new
> GUI library for python?

Clearly you felt there was :)

    Richard