xlrd question

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Aug 4 01:30:01 CEST 2007

On Aug 4, 1:22 am, JYOUN... at kc.rr.com wrote:
> When running 'python setup.py install' to install items for xlrd to work, does anybody know
> what items are
> installed and where items are installed at on a Mac (OS 10.4)?  I'm assuming it mainly uses
> things out of the xlrd
> folder, but was curious if it copies files to other locations.

Background: I'm the xlrd author. I've never even sat down in front of
a Mac.

xlrd is a pure-Python package. The setup.py is close to vanilla.
Consequently (I'm guessing) the files should be installed on a Mac in
a folder called P/lib/site-packages/xlrd where P is the folder
containing the Python executable etc.

It's easy to find out exactly where. Result on my Windows box:

>>> import sys, xlrd; print sys.version; print xlrd.__file__
2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

At some stage in the distant past, the hierarchy was somewhat flatter,

>>> import sys, xlrd; print sys.version; print xlrd.__file__
2.1.3 (#35, Apr  8 2002, 17:47:50) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)]

Script files like runxlrd.py should end up somewhere else, probably in
P/Scripts. If all else fails, use the shell find command.

BTW, I've never had anyone else ask where files are installed, on any
platform. What is your problem/concern?