ensuring GNU readline isn't used

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Tue Aug 7 09:13:49 EDT 2007

Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> wrote:

> Is there a way to ensure that GNU readline isn't used (even though
> support may have been compiled in?).  I'm experiencing a licensing
> problem, I'd like to use the "cmd" module, for example, but my code is
> proprietary and hence, if cmd uses readline, I can't use cmd.

I think you have misread the GPL: just because your non-GPL code *can* be
used with something covered by the GPL doesn't mean your code is infected
by the GPL. Your code doesn't require a GPL module to run (you can use a
version of cmd compiled without readline), and you aren't attempting to
distribute it with a GPL module, so you don't need to care how the end user
chooses to run it.