step through .py file in a .NET application written in C# in Visual Studio

Bo bohemaida at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 18:22:05 EDT 2007

Hello All,

I am experimenting IronPython in Visual Studio.  Here is what I have,
what I did and what I want

1.  I have installed Visual Studio SDK 4.0 according to this blog
http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronmar/archive/2006/02/16/a-bit-more-on-ironpython.aspx

If I run Visual Studio under Experimental Hive, a Python file opened
is color coded.

2.  Also, my computer has apparently installed some IronPython DLL
because my Visual Studio can recoginize the following class:
IronPython.Hosting.PythonEngine.

If I declare something like the following in Visual Studio:

public static class MyPythonClass {
   private static IronPython.Hosting.PythonEngine   MY_ENGINE;
  //suppose I have created an instance of PhythonEngine and assigned
to MY_ENGINE
}

If I do "Go to Definition" of PythonEngine, I can navigate to the
Definition of PythonEngine, but it is from MetaData.

3.  In my .NET application (written in C#) , I can invoke the
execution of an external python file using something like:
MyPythonClass.MY_ENGINE.ExecuteFile("myPythonFileWithAbsolutePath.py")

The python file (myPythonFileWithAbsolutePath.py) can be executed all
right, but I want to step through it to debug it.  Any suggestions on
how to do it?

Thanks a bunch.

Bo